Friday, June 17, 2016

Six Questions for Robert Cole and Cody Music, Co-Founding Editors, Tallow Eider Quarterly

Tallow Eider Quarterly publishes poetry, flash fiction, essays, and artwork that are the most experimental, innovative and engaging art and writing available today, and reviews.

(Ceased publication)


SQF: Why did you start this magazine?

Rob Cole: It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I think an equal combination of reading magazines I admire and ones I do not motivated me start TEQ. Really, I wanted to get engaged in other people’s writing instead of being constantly absorbed in my own.


SQF: What are the top three things you look for in a submission and why?

Cody Music: I’d like to think I don’t look for specific qualities – initially. Maybe that’s avoiding the question, but, if our submissions remain intriguing to the end, I’ve likely been shown things I didn’t know I’d like to experience.


SQF: What most often turns you off to a submission?

RC: When writers or artists refuse to read our submission guidelines and use strange fonts or extremely intricate formatting. Also, seeing the writer’s name, address and email on the top of every page of the submission. What always matters most is the content, the writing or art, and I think it’s a shame when writers spend more time on bios than sending their best work.


SQF: Do you provide comments when you reject a submission?

CM: Hardly ever. Taking the time to improve what I don’t enjoy seems very inane, and that’s not ill-will/anything personal.


SQF: Who are a few of your favorite authors of experimental prose and poetry?

RC: Ben Mirov, John Amen, Claire Hero’s “Afterpastures” was a favorite, there are a ton of authors and poets I admire. I really appreciate the writing styles of Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Bernard Malamud.


SQF: What one question on this topic do you wish I'd asked that I didn't? And how would you answer it?

CM:

Q: How’d you name your magazine?
A: We talked and chose a phonetic phrase with a hint of archaic “huh?”

Thank you, Rob and Cody. We all appreciate you taking time from your busy schedule to participate in this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment